I think from previous posts it’s pretty clear that I love Harry Potter. I am a fanatic. It should come as no surprise that part of the allure of London is going on Harry Potter tours. The Warner Bros. Studio Tour: The Making of Harry Potter is one the comes to mind. As I start to plan a trip to London, this is where I start my voyage.
From the research I have done, this is any Harry Potter fan’s dream come true. Leavesden was the home of the Harry Potter movies for 10 years. After the films wrapped, all the sets and props were left onsite. So what do you do? You set up a tour. Genius! But what are some of the things I would do given the opportunity to go?
1. Ride a broomstick. Yes, you heard me right. Muggles can sit on a broom in front of a green screen and take flight like the cast did. Want to remember it forever? You can purchase a photograph or DVD of your broom riding experience.
2. See the Great Hall. This is an iconic part of the film. All four houses gather here and the war in the last book has a large presence here. Really I would love to have a meal in the Great Hall and sit at the Gryffindor table. Do they allow this?
3. Walk Diagon Alley. I’ve visited Diagon Alley at Universal Studios Orlando, but walking through the set of the real Diagon Alley would be something special.
There is another tour that caught my attention: Muggle Tours. This seems like a fun group of Potter Heads that take you to unique places that are seen in the film. Like where, you ask? The tour highlights include:
- The entrance to the Leaky Cauldron
- Several locations over which Lord Voldemort’s death eater wreak havoc
- No. 12 Grimmauld Place
- The location where the Triple Decker Knight Bus squeezes through two London buses
If you’ve never been on the website Trippy, go and sign up! It’s a place to get peer-to-peer information on travel. Ask questions. Give answers. It’s a GREAT community. I asked about HP tours in London and got an awesome answer.
I also stumbled upon this Buzzfeed article: The Super Fan’s Guide to Harry Potter’s London
The possibilities are endless when it comes to Harry Potter! These tours are on my bucket list plan for London. Do you have any other advice for HP fans visiting London? Share in the comments below or on Twitter @tripintotravel.